Wednesday, September 4, 2013

What is Aesthetics?

The answer to the titular questions simply put is that which pleases the senses. Whether that be a painting seen by the eye, a composition heard by the ear, a meal tasted by the taste buds, a perfume smelled by the nose, or fabric touched by the skin, if it pleases one sense or more, then it is of the aesthetic. At least, that's what most believe. My personal beliefs are as follows: anything considered art is aesthetic, and anything that makes one think or reflect is art.

Feel free to post your opinions on the subject.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you said about fabric and taste because I had always wondered that myself. Why would they call it the culinary arts if it is just looked at as food. And then what could be construed as culinary art? Is all food art? I believe it is up to the individual viewing the piece. Makes you really think, good argument.

    ReplyDelete