Friday, September 6, 2013

Art or Squiggly Lines?

Everone views things differently. It doesn't matter what part of the world you are from, what language you speak, what color you are, or how you like your eggs, everyone sees things differently. So who are we to judge what is the best and worst painting in the world?

I personally think art is everwhere and everything, it just depends on how you look at it. Art doesn't have to be a painting or a poem, art is the way the trees block out the sun and create a glow, or the way the dragonflys buzz around the grass. Art is just beauty on different levels.

I feel that art is what we make of it. Even if one person thinks that a certain piece is terrible, it is still art. That certain picture could have been the anger the artist felt when he painted it, or the sadness she felt when she drew it. Art is the way a person expresses his/her deepest thoughts and desires. So to judge a painting on the colors, is like judging that artist on their feelings.

Who are we to say what is art, and what are just squiggly lines.


Comments or thoughts????? :)

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you 100 percent. I wrote something similar and I think that beauty comes in all sorts of color, shape, size, etc. We might think something is ugly, but there's someone out there that is going to think it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post. I wonder if it would be safe to say that Art is anything that we (society) treat as art? I recently had the opportunity to visit the Rothko Chapel in Houston, my hometown. I am currently working on a show with the TMC Theatre about his life. Now Rothko tried to paint "nothing" or "nothingness" to hang in the chapel. I was stunned by the reactions of the viewers, they were enthralled by what is more or less a collection of black canvases. I wonder if it is because of the fact that these pieces have been labeled as Art with a capital "A" that suddenly become "transcendent masterpieces" in the eyes of society? I wonder if we were to take them out of context and place them in the dusty back room of a second hand art dealer, if anyone would discover them and once again call them masterpieces? I think it might be the pedestal that Art is placed on that makes Art what it is, especially since we live in a society that has divorced skill from art.

    ReplyDelete