Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tradition and the Art of India

Today we discussed, more fully, the traditions which all of us have with regards to ceremonies.  We did watch a short video regarding the Dogon of Mali.  I don't recall if this was the "sigi" in which they performed, but as I sat and watched I marveled at how intricate each mask was and how much time it must have taken to prepare the beaded chest pieces and the colorful strands of straw-like material with which each wore on their bodies.  Scharfstein describes this ceremony as more than art in its usual sense because it is both the expression and the mainstay of social and individual life (93).

I certainly agree with that statement because thinking about our own culture in America, our lives are ripe with tradition and these ceremonies even though not quite as intricate.  The professor mentioned Scharfstein's three senses of authenticity relating to the genuineness of art.  I posed an interesting question when he had mentioned the decommission of some of Rembrandt's work, on the basis that there were too many of his works to possibly be genuine.  I asked why is it that one work of art is valued more than, say a Dogon Mask, and regarded more highly? Is it not still art? We both would like to know the answer to this question and I think that it would make for an interesting research paper.

I believe that what is most important for those who have made posts to this blog, is that art comes in many forms and should be regarded thoughtfully as art simply for the sake of "itself." The Dogon believe in this as well and I think it important that we be reminded of this.  When I create art, not only is it "original" but it is an expression of myself and how I view what is around me.  It certainly will never be a Rembrandt (unless I die tragically and in an untimely manner) but is still valuable because it is my creation and no one else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment