Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Shall I Take On a New Form?

There are some things that we consider to be true and therefore beautiful.  Yet, some people may find the truth to be disturbing to them.  One form of art may not resonate with one person as well as it does with another - there may also be multiple forms of one piece of art, with people preferring one option to another.

For example, William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream has a section in Act 3 with Bottom (an actor) and Titania (the fairy queen) in the forest.
Bottom: I see their knavery: this is to make an ass of me - to fright me, if they could. But I will not stir from this place, do what they can: I will walk up and down here, and I will sing, that they shall hear I am not afraid.
Titania awakes and falls in love with the young man.  Bottom tries to rebuff her affections, but Titania pushes harder.
There is also another scene between Hermia and Lysander with a similar discuss of affections.

The same scenes are combined and played out in the movie Were the World Mine with a different twist.

Some people may not find the words to be as beautiful in the movie form - either due to discomfort over the subject, or the different representation - yet the words are still the same.

Can you think of other examples where you may love something in one form, but not another?

What John Cage did with his music may be beautiful to some, and disturbing to others. Yet he is still using the same medium (music) as Beethoven or other "great composers".  While here it is words.

No comments:

Post a Comment